- Cooking Time: 20
- Servings: 8 Qts
- Preparation Time: 45
BackstoryA good way to save your apples for all the pies & cakes or a baked apple dish. I like to eat them stright out of the jar. This won 1st place at the Tennessee State Fair.
- 4 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 or 3 drops yellow food coloring
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 1/2 to 6 lbs peeled and sliced apples
- Blend sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt with 10 cups water.
- Cook until thick and bubbly.
- Add lemon juice and coloring.
- Pack sliced raw apples in quart jars, leaving 1 inch head space.
- Pour hot mixture over apples and seal and process in hot water bath 20 minutes after boiling