- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryWe found this delightful recipe in Trader Vic's Book of Mexican Coooking, but instead of regular white bread, we use Hawaiian sweet bread, because it gives a better flavor.
- 8 slices of Hawaiian sweet bread, cubed
- 6 cups milk, scalded
- 2 cups dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 eggs, well beaten
- ½ cup melted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup raisins
- 6 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- Combine bread cubes and scalded milk in a buttered 4 quart baking dish; let bread soak for about 10 mninutes.
- In a bowl combine the sugar with the spices and salt; stir in the eggs and melted butter; then mix in the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour the mixture over the bread cubes and stir lightly until well blended.
- Bake for 30 minutes in a preheated 350ºF oven.
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Fun appetizers and snacks
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette StarbuckSee More
Gluten Free Vietnamese Perogies
Campbell's Kitchen Slow Cooker Bacon Potato ChowderSee More