- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time:
- 8 slices of Hawaiian sweet bread, cubed
- 6 cups milk, scalded
- 2 cups dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 eggs, well beaten
- ½ cup melted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup raisins
- 6 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- Combine bread cubes and scalded milk in a buttered 4 quart baking dish; let bread soak for about 10 mninutes.
- In a bowl combine the sugar with the spices and salt; stir in the eggs and melted butter; then mix in the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour the mixture over the bread cubes and stir lightly until well blended.
- Bake for 30 minutes in a preheated 350ºF oven.
NotesWe found this delightful recipe in Trader Vic's Book of Mexican Coooking, but instead of regular white bread, we use Hawaiian sweet bread, because it gives a better flavor.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Naked Macaron
Angel Acres Soup & Chili Cookbook
From Granny's Kitchen...With Love!See More
Chocolate Eclair Cake
Sara Lee® Fruity Breakfast Bread Spreads
Triple Chocolate Chunk CookiesSee More