- Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Servings: 4-6
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- 1 1-½ lbs eggplant, cubed
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 clove garlic, sliced thin
- ¼ cup kalamata olives, pitted
- 2 slices bacon
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- olive oil
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbs brown sugar
- fresh basil
- ¼ cup capers
- 1 tbs cocoa powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fry bacon in pan over medium high heat.
- While bacon is frying, press eggplant to remove moisture.
- Remove bacon from pan. Leave fat on medium heat. Toss in eggplant.
- Brown. Remove from pan into large serving bowl.
- To pan, add olive oil, onion, bell pepper, and celery. Saute until celery is translucent.
- Add tomato sauce, garlic, capers and olives. Slowly stir in cocoa powder and paprika. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Place in bowl.
- Add eggplant. Toss.
- Mix balsamic and sugar together in small saucepan over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Add to bowl.
NotesI have made this dish for many years, complete with a few variations. Adding pinon nuts can give it a nice roasty flavor (Be sure your nuts are fresh, then pan roast them until golden brown). Adding fresh fish, such as halibut, tuna, squid, and/or salmon can make it more Mediterranean.
Feel free to mix it up.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and Appetisers
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 2 Desserts and CakesSee More
Super Easy Chicken and Pepper Mexican Spiced Rice Stir Fry
How To Make Caramelized Onions
Salted Nut SquaresSee More