- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- For brownie layer
- 4 ounces fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened), chopped
- 3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder, dissolved in 1/2 tablespoon boiling
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- For Cappuccino Frosting:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbl instant espresso dissolved in 1/2 tbl of water
- Dash of cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F. and butter and flour an 8-inch square baking pan, knocking out excess flour.
- Make brownie layer:
- In a heavy 1 1/2-quart saucepan melt chocolate and butter with espresso mixture over low heat, stirring, until smooth and remove pan from heat. Cool mixture to lukewarm and whisk in sugar and vanilla. Add eggs, 1 at a time, whisking well until mixture is glossy and smooth. Stir in flour and salt until just combined and stir in walnuts.
- Spread batter evenly in pan and bake in middle of oven 22 to 25 minutes, or until a tester comes out with crumbs adhering to it. Cool brownie layer completely in pan on a rack.
- Refrigerate brownie layer after it is cool for about an hour.
- For cappuccino frosting:
- Add all ingredients into bowl of standing mixer with wire whip. Whip heavy cream with instant espresso powder, vanilla, and cinnamon until soft peaks form. Frost cooled brownies, and cut. This brownie is really rich so I recommend cutting it into smaller pieces than traditional brownies.
NotesI tried this recipe from epicurious.com which was good but not what I was looking for. I made it again but I modified it a bit to make it more to my liking. If you like coffee and chocolate like I do, you will love this!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Gluten-Free - Making do with what you got!
MidLife Road Trip's
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie TreatsSee More
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies
Peanut Butter Chocolate and Banana Chip Cookies
NO-BAKE CHEESECAKE PETIT FOURSSee More