- Cooking Time: 3 - 5
- Servings: 40
- Preparation Time:
- 1 lb mozzarella prosciutto basil roll from a good deli
- 2 fresh baguettes, about 1.5 lbs
- 1 package (12 oz) small tomatoes on the vine
- Slice the baguette on a bias into ½ inch thick pieces, ending up with about 40 slices.
- Slice the cheese roll and the tomatoes into about 1/8 inch thick pieces, ending up with a similar number.
- Variation: For a vegetarian option, layer a slice of fresh mozzerella and a large basil leaf instead of the roll.
- Place bread slices on a baking sheet and top each with a slice of the cheese roll.
- Broil the bites for 3-5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and starting to brown.
- Move to a serving platter and allow them to cool for a minute or two, then top with a tomato slice and serve.
- These are also good without the tomatoes.
NotesThese are an easy and elegant appetizer that I first encounted at a friend's house and tweaked.