CAPRESE SALAD WITH BASIL OIL AND HERBED SEA SALT
- Cooking Time: 1 minute
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- 4 Heirloom or Vine-Ripened Tomatoes, ends discarded and sliced ½ inch thick
- 2 balls fresh mozzarella, sliced ½ inch thick
- 4 leaves fresh basil
- Grape or Cherry Tomatoes (optional)
- For the Basil Oil:
- 2 cups basil
- ice bath
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- For the Basil Sea Salt:
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Good Quality Balsamic Vinegar
- For the Basil Oil: Blanche basil in boiling water. Shock in ice bath and set aside.
- Place basil into a blender with ½ cup olive oil and a pinch of kosher salt and puree until smooth. Pass through a fine chinois or strainer.
- For the Basil Sea Salt: Crush dried basil with a mortar and pestle until it becomes a powder. Mix with 1 tsp sea salt. Set aside.
- To Plate: Place alternating slices of tomato and mozzarella in the center of the plate, starting and ending with a tomato slice (you should have three slices of tomato and two slices of mozzarella). Repeat with the other three tomatoes. Top with a fresh basil leaf.
- Drizzle basil oil over tomatoes and around plate. Drizzle lightly with balsamic vinegar (careful not to use too much).
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Brownies: Baking Outside the Box
Easy Homemade Salad Dressings
$30 Wine+Food PairingsSee More
Hot and Sour Soup
My Husband’s Favorite Desert
Mickey's Pulled PorkSee More