- Cooking Time: 45
- Servings: 12-14
- Preparation Time: 20
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup cold butter
- 8 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels, halved
- 1 cup apple cider, divided
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly.
- Press half of the mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish.
- Layer with half of the apples and caramels and 1 cup oat mixture; repeat layers. Pour 1/2 cup cider over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 30 minutes. Drizzle with remaining cider; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until apples are tender.
NotesMy kids love caramel apples, so when I found this recipe in an old issue of "Taste of Home" magazine, I knew we had to try it. Fortunately, it did not disappoint! I used Granny Smith apples, however the recipe's original author (Michelle Brooks from Clarkston, MI) wrote that she uses a variety of apples to give it a nice combination of flavors.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Second Grade Holiday Cookbook
TECHmunch Austin 2013 Food Blogger Community CookbookSee More
Apricot Glazed Chicken Breasts
Blueberry Light MuffinsSee More