- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium sized tart apples, peeled, cored, and chopped small (about 2 cups)
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Insert liners into a medium cupcake pan.
- In a large bowl beat together the brown sugar, oil, cinnamon, and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed. Add the eggs one at a time, beating for 1 minute after each addition.
- In a separate bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Slowly add the dry mixture to the wet mixture. Beat until blended. Stir in apples.
- Fill the cupcake liners 1/2 to 3/4 full (I did about 1/2) with batter. Bake for 20-25 minutes (mine were done at about 18 minutes), or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in pan. (This book always says to cool them in the pan, but I always cool them on wire racks.)
NotesBlogged at http://howtoeatacupcake.blogspot.com
Recipe from Crazy About Cupcakes by Krystina Castella.
MY NOTES: I used Granny Smith apples. I could only find large apples, and when I chopped them up I got about 3 cups. I only used 2 cups in the batter, and it was perfect. The topping turned out more like a browned butter icing than caramel. I'd recommend using your favorite caramel recipe instead.