- Cooking Time: 55
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 40
- Crust Ingredients:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup cold LAND O LAKES Butter
- 4 to 5 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon LAND O LAKES Butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Filling Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup thick caramel ice cream topping
- 6 medium (6 cups) tart cooking apples, peeled, sliced 1/4-inch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Heat oven to 400F. Combine 2 cups flour and salt in large bowl; cut in butter with pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in enough water with fork just until flour is moistened. Divide dough in half; shape each half into ball. Flatten slightly. Wrap 1 ball of dough in plastic food wrap; refrigerate.
- Roll out remaining ball of dough on lightly floured surface into 12-inch circle. Fold into quarters. Place dough into 9-inch pie pan; unfold, pressing firmly against bottom and sides. Trim crust to 1/2 inch from edge of pan; set aside.
- Lightly toss together ice cream topping, apples and lemon juice in large bowl. Add 1/2 cup sugar, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon; toss lightly. Spoon apple mixture into prepared crust.
- Roll out remaining ball of dough into 11-inch circle. Cut out 10 (1/2-inch) strips with sharp knife or pastry wheel. Place 5 strips, 1 inch apart, across filling in pie pan. Weave remaining 5 strips at right angles to strips already in place. Trim ends. Fold trimmed edge of bottom crust over strips; build up an edge. Crimp or flute edge. Brush strips with 1 tablespoon melted butter; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sugar. Cover edge of crust with 2-inch strip aluminum foil.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Remove aluminum foil. Continue baking for 20 to 25 minutes or until crust is lightly browned and juice begins to bubble through slits in crust. Cool pie 30 to 45 minutes. Serve warm.
NotesTop a slice of this pie with ice cream for a caramel apple sundae dessert.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
Baby Food: Baby's First Solid Foods
Healthy Blender Recipes: Vegan Drinks, Shakes & SmoothiesSee More
Pineapple-Black Bean Enchiladas
Mascarpone Brownies With Honey Chocolate Sauce
Chicken RollupsSee More