CARAMEL-APPLE PUDDING CAKE
Caramel-Apple Pudding Cake
- 2 medium tart cooking apples, such as Granny Smith or Jonathan, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter (no substitutes), melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 3/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter (no substitutes)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Grease a 2-quart square baking dish; arrange apple slices in bottom of dish. Sprinkle with lemon juice, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Top evenly with raisins; set aside.
3. Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and baking soda in a large bowl. Add milk, the 2 tablespoons melted butter, and vanilla; mix well. Stir in nuts. Spread batter evenly over apple mixture.
4. Combine caramel topping, water, and the 1 tablespoon butter in a small saucepan; bring to boiling. Pour caramel mixture over the batter in the baking dish.