- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons (1.25 oz/35g) butter or stick margarine
- 2 teaspoons light-colored corn syrup
- Dash of salt
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Combine brown sugar and next 4 ingredients (brown sugar through salt) in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat, and simmer until thick (about 5 minutes), stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Add confectioners' sugar and 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla; beat at medium speed of a mixer until smooth and slightly warm. Cool 2 to 3 minutes (frosting will be thin but thickens as it cools).
- Place 1 cake layer on a plate; spoon 1/2 cup frosting on to cake layer spreading to cover. Top with remaining cake layer.
- Frost top and sides of cake, and garnish top of cake with pecan halves (optional).
- Store cake loosely covered in refrigerator.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Holiday Dessert Cookbook
Foodie BabySee More
Dad's favorite peanut brownies!See More