- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8-10
- Preparation Time:
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces/1 stick/113g) butter or stick margarine, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- pecan halves (for garnish)
- Coat two (9-inch/23cm) round cake pans with cooking spray; line bottoms with wax paper or parchment paper. Coat paper with cooking spray; dust with the 1 tablespoon flour.
- Beat granulated sugar and 1/2 cup butter at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended (about 5 minutes).
- Add eggs and egg white, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Lightly spoon 2 1/4 cups flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife.
- Combine 2 1/4 cups flour, baking powder, and salt; stir well with a whisk.
- Add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with 1 1/4 cups milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Stir in 2 teaspoons vanilla.
- Pour batter into prepared pans, and sharply tap pans once on counter to remove air bubbles.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (180 C) for 30 minutes (If using non-stick or dark colored cake pans, bake at 325 degrees F (160 C), and bake for 25-27 minutes), or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pans. Carefully peel off wax paper or parchment paper; cool completely on wire rack.
- Frost and garnish with pecan halves if desired.