- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- The topping:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 pounds (6 large) onions, very thinly sliced
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup finely chopped (not ground) walnuts
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or stockpot over medium heat.
- Add the onions and a generous seasoning of salt and pepper.
- Toss to coat well, then cover the pan.
- Cook, tossing occasionally, until the onions are very soft and are caramel brown all over.
- After the first 10 minutes or so of cooking, you will have to lower the heat to prevent sticking. The onions need to be cooked slowly over low heat in order to caramelize properly; this will take about 45 minutes.
- By cooking them covered, you can use less oil to achieve this.
- Remove the cover from the pan, then add the walnuts.
- Cook 5 minutes, tossing frequently. Remove the onions from the heat and let cool.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and Appetisers
Eating for a Look Good Naked Fitness Life - time to feel good in your own skinSee More
Honey Cake (mézeskalács) As My Mother Makes
Delicious, flaky, lard-free pie crustSee More