CARAMELIZED ONION SOUP WITH CHEESE & CROUTONS
- 1 1/2 lb. onions
- 1 tsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp butter, unsalted
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 6 cups beef stock
- or 1/2 beef stock and 1/2 chicken stock
- 4 slices Peasant Bread or a rustic type of bread
- Coarse Black Pepper
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Caramelized Onion Soup with Cheese & Croutons
French Onion Soup is wonderful, but breaking up the single large crouton with a spoon is difficult. This recipe obviates that problem.
1 1/2 lb. onions
1 tsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tsp butter, unsalted
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup white wine
6 cups beef stock
or 1/2 beef stock and 1/2 chicken stock
4 slices Peasant Bread or a rustic type of bread
Coarse Black Pepper
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1. Slice onions about a 1/4 inch thick.
2. In a stock pot, melt butter with olive oil over medium-high heat. When hot, not smoking, add onions. Stirring
every few minutes, sauté onions until they start to caramelize. Onions will first become translucent, then will start
to stick slightly and start to turn brown. Stirring them prevents burning. Add minced garlic and cook for another
minute until aroma of garlic is present.
3 .When onions are a nice golden brown, add wine to deglaze the pan.
4. Add stock, bring to boil and then reduce to simmer. Allow to cook for approximately 30 minutes.
5. Ladle into heat proof bowls and place Croutons on top.
6. Sprinkle with Gruyère or Swiss Cheese
7. Place under broiler just long enough to melt the cheese.