- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 1/2 cups vertically sliced onion
- 1 1/3 cups finely chopped red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped Canadian bacon
- 6 cups (1-inch) cubed sourdough bread (about 12 ounces)
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 large egg whites
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté 4 minutes. Reduce heat; cook 10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add bell pepper; cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in bacon.
- Arrange 3 cups bread in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray; top with half of onion mixture. Repeat layer with remaining bread and onion mixture.
- Combine milk and next 4 ingredients (milk through eggs) in a medium bowl; stir well with a whisk. Pour egg mixture over bread mixture, and top with the cheese. Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Let the casserole stand 30 minutes at room temperature before cooking. Uncover and bake at 375° for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
HKA Community Fair Recipes 2015
The Best of GlutenFreeHappyTummy!
Simple Homemade FavoritesSee More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More