- Cooking Time: 25
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 15
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cups long grain rice, or colored rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon
- 2 1/4 teaspoons caraway seed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons Mrs. Dash seasoning blend
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a large kettle, saute celery and onion in oil until crisp-tender (about 2 minutes).
- Stir in rice, water, bouillon, caraway seed, salt, and Mrs. Dash.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer covered for 10 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice and fluff with fork.
NotesTaiwan researchers have created new strains of rice that are colorful and nutritious. The first four colors are yellow, green, pink and purple rice. Yellow rice gets its hue from curcumin, a herb used in curries and is believed by some to be an antioxidant. Green rice comes from bitter gourd, pink comes from tomato, and purple from a mixture of vegetables. But the researchers aren't stopping there. They are hoping to create up to 14 colors so that one can have a different color rice everyday for two weeks.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Koken met Oma
$30 Wine+Food Pairings
Classic Chocolate Recipes ElevatedSee More
Sweet Potato Pizza Dough
Grilled Summer Veggie Pizza
Zesty Italian ChickenSee More