CARDAMOM FIG COFFEE CAKE
- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time:
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup dried figs -- chopped
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom (fresh ground from pods
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 whole eggs
- 1/3 c. butter or margarine
- 2 c. confectioner's sugar
- 1-1/2 t. vanilla
- 2 to 4 T. hot water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour bundt or loaf pans.
- I prefer a tube pan
- Combine all ingredients, in order, and mix with mixer on low-medium for 30 seconds.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake loaves 45-50 minutes, bundt pans 55-60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan(s).
- Cool completely before glazing or slicing.
- Melt butter in saucepan. Blend in sugar and vanilla.
- Stir in water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until glaze is of desired consistency.
NotesThis coffee cake is moist and delish! Warning: do not use store bought ground cardamom....ground in the jar is not as intense. It is worth the effort to find the pods, remove the seeds and grind yourself as you need.