CARIBBEAN STIR-FRIED SHRIMP
Caribbean Stir-Fried Shrimp
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks in juice, drained, and patted dry
- 1 pound frozen, large shrimp, thawed, peeled and cleaned
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 cup canned, diced mild green chilies
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 3 cups hot cooked rice (optional)
Preparation Time: Approximately 5 minutes
Cook Time: Approximately 8 minutes
Heat a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add half the oil and heat until smoking, about 10 seconds. Add the onion and stir-fry until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Add the pineapple and stir fry gently until pineapple browns lightly, about 1 minute. Move pineapple to a bowl and set aside.
Add remaining oil to the pan. Add shrimp and stir-fry until opaque, about 1 minute. Add garlic and red pepper, if desired, and stir-fry for 10 seconds.
Add the tomatoes, chilies, and reserved pineapple and stir-fry until heated through, about
1 minute. Stir in soy sauce and serve over rice, if desired.
Tip: We’ve kept the spiciness light (the canned chilies are mild) and the pinch of crushed pepper flakes is optional. If you want to add a little more heat, increase the pepper. Or for a completely family friendly version, eliminate the red pepper flakes, and your stir-fry will be as mild as a tropical breeze.
Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories 170; Total fat 3g; Saturated fat 0g; Cholesterol 115mg; Sodium 330mg; Carbohydrate 20g; Fiber 2g; Protein 16g; Vitamin A 6%DV*; Vitamin C 40%DV; Calcium 8%DV; Iron 15%DV