- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 1
- Preparation Time: 2
BackstoryThis, the "middle child" in my Wake You Up Trio, is dedicated to my spirit brother; Alex was created for him one night when a Grave Digger just wouldn't suffice.
Rich caramel and espresso meet to form an explosion of sweet, high voltage energy!
Remember to work quickly, once brewed, espresso should never sit any longer than 60 seconds before it is mixed into the drink. Any longer, and it starts going through a chemical reaction causing the acidity to increase, making it extremely bitter and harsh on your stomach.
- 6 shots fresh brewed espresso (approx 1.5 oz each)
- 3 oz caramel sauce (caramel topping will work)
- 7 oz steamed (frothed) milk (for a richer drink, substitute 1/2 and 1/2)
- Add the caramel sauce to the bottom of the glass.
- Brew the espresso. If possible, it is always best to brew the espresso straight into the cup/glass, though most machines are not large enough to accommodate a 20 oz glass. An extraction pitcher/shot glass will work to brew the espresso into.
- Add espresso to glass if it wasn't brewed dirrectly into the glass.
- Stir to completly melt the caramel sauce.
- Slowly pour in the steamed milk in a circular pattern. You will notice the crema, the rick brown top layer to the espresso, mix with the 1/2 and 1/2 in a unique pattern. If you're feeling adventurous, you can practice changing your pour pattern with the milk to create designs. Common designs are the Rosetta leaf or a heart.
- Add whipped cream to taste.
- Drizzle a little caramel sauce on top of the whipped cream.