- Cooking Time: 60-75 minutes
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 20-25 minutes
BackstoryThis is a recipe I found on tastespotting & tweaked it to my specifications.
- 1 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup Myer's dark rum
- 2 ripe bananas, unpeeled
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup raw sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- In a small saucepan, combine the apricots and rum. Bring to a boil over medium heat, and let stand for 1 hour. Strain the plumped apricots and set aside; discard any remaining liquid. (I decided to use the extra rum in the recipe as it was less than 2 tablespoons).
- Place the bananas on a foil lined cookie sheet. Bake in the oven for 12 minutes, or until the skins are black and they have started to seep. Remove from the oven , set aside, and let cool.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt into a mixing bowl. Set aside. In the bowl with an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed for about 3 minutes. Turn the machine to low and add 1 egg. Mix until completely incorporated and then add the second egg. Mix again until completely incorporated.
- Meanwhile, squeeze the flesh of the bananas out of the skins and into a small mixing bowl. Add the coconut milk and vanilla and mash together. Add half of the banana mixture to the electric mixer bowl and blend thoroughly on low speed. Add half of the flour mixture and mix until combined. Add the remaining banana mixture, blend thoroughly, and add the remaining flour mixture; mix just enough to thoroughly blend the ingredients. Fold the pumpkin seeds and reserved apricots into the batter and pour it into a lightly greased 9 by 5-inch loaf pan. Bake at 350 for 60 to 75 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a rack, slice, and serve warm.
- Makes 1 loaf