- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 pounds of cabbage
- 1 bell pepper, diced fine (optional)
- 1 medium onion, diced fine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- Shred cabbage, mix with pepper and onion (you can leave out both the pepper & onion, and this will still be good).
- Mix all dressing ingredients in small pot, bring to a boil and stir to dissolve sugar.
- Pour over cabbage and toss.
- Refrigerate until cool all the way through—overnight is best.
NotesThis recipe is from my Mom. She used to make it for my extended family's big "birthday picnic" in the summer -- we celebrated everyone's birthday at the same time, because all our birthdays fell within one six-week period.
This slaw is sweet and tangy. The dressing is not creamy.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Gluten-Free and Delicious
Cupcake Wars Winning Blueberry Pancake Cupcake Recipe
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. WelchSee More
Grandma Helen's Amazing Kolaches
Lemon Cucumber Tofu Salad
POTATO FRITTERSSee More