- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 pounds of cabbage
- 1 bell pepper, diced fine (optional)
- 1 medium onion, diced fine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- Shred cabbage, mix with pepper and onion (you can leave out both the pepper & onion, and this will still be good).
- Mix all dressing ingredients in small pot, bring to a boil and stir to dissolve sugar.
- Pour over cabbage and toss.
- Refrigerate until cool all the way through—overnight is best.
NotesThis recipe is from my Mom. She used to make it for my extended family's big "birthday picnic" in the summer -- we celebrated everyone's birthday at the same time, because all our birthdays fell within one six-week period.
This slaw is sweet and tangy. The dressing is not creamy.
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome Recipes
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013
Girl Scout Campfire Cookbook Troop 60252See More
Mom's Spanish Rice
Simply Delicious Mac-n-Cheese Casserole
Holiday BellsSee More