- Cooking Time: 15-20 minutes
- Servings: 12-24
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
BackstoryFeeding a growing boy gets really interesting once he decides to be independent and feed himself. Get ready for prunes smeared in the hair and far flung bits of Cheerio to appear in random places days later. One of the ways to avoid a little of the mess and to allow your little to still explore the fun of self feeding is combo finger foods. Jude had issues with finger foods at first, in that all he could pick up were Cheerios and puffs. Banana chunks slipped right from his fingers like a bar of wet soap. Even when rolled in baby cereal. Any cooked fruit or veggie shot right out of his hands. It was sad to watch, really. He'd try so hard to pick up a bite, only to have it escape him inches from his mouth. And a kid can't live on baby puffs, even if they are fun to stick to his forehead.
I started making Jude fruit and veggie bites so he'd be able to feed himself something nutritious that he could actually hang on to. Now they are his favorite snacks. They're delicious, honestly. I make a couple of different variations, and now I actually make them double sized. They obviously defrost faster when small, so make whatever is most convenient for you and your babykins.
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup shredded apple
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 egg yolks
- 1-1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour, bread crumbs, or baby cereal
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Toss all ingredients in a bowl and stir until well combined.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop out the mixture and press it firmly into the scoop. You can also use a tablespoon and roll into balls with your hands.
- Place a few inches apart on cookie sheets.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until set and just beginning to brown at the edges.
- Store a few bites in the fridge for up to three days. Freeze the remaining bites in ziploc bags for up to a month.
- Variations: Zucchini Ricotta Bites - Substitute 2 cups of shredded zucchini for the carrot and apple. Add 1/2 cup ricotta and increase dry ingredients by 1/4 cup.
- Sweet Potato and Pear Bites - Substitute 1 cup shredded sweet potato and 1 cup shredded pear (use a firm pear like Bosc) for the carrot and apple.