CARROT CAKE (LOW FAT, LOTS OF TASTE)
- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsps ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsps salt
- 1/4 tsps baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup veg. oil
- 1/4 cup plain fat free yogurt
- 2 1/2 tsps vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups finely chopped carrots
- Frosting (can be made when cake is cooling):
- 1/2 cup block style fat free cream cheese (let sit out for 20 mins to soften)
- 1/4 cup butter or stick margarine, softened
- 1 tsp grated lemon rind
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Cake: Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Coat two 8-inch round cake pans with cooking spray and lightly dust with flour.
- Lightly spoon 2 1/4 cups flour into measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour with next 5 ingredients stirring well with a whisk. Beat granulated sugar and next 7 ingredients at medium speed of a mixer. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Stir in Carrots.
- Pour batter into prepared pans. Sharply tap pans once on the counter to remove air bubbles. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes on racks. Then removes cakes from pans and continue cooling on racks.
- Place 1 cake layer on a plate; frost. Add second layer and frost completely.
- Beat first four ingredients at medium speed of a mixer until smooth. Gradually add sugar to butter mixture; beat at low speed just until blended.
NotesThis Carrot Cake can be made in 1 hour and 20 minutes (40 mins of prep , 25 mins to bake, 10 mins to cool and 5 mins to frost). It's very moist and lower-fat than most recipes.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Brownies: Baking Outside the Box
Easy Homemade Salad Dressings
$30 Wine+Food PairingsSee More
Hot and Sour Soup
My Husband’s Favorite Desert
Mickey's Pulled PorkSee More