- Cooking Time: 120 min
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 30 min
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 pound lean beef round, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups water
- 3 sweet potatoes (1 and 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut in chunks
- 6 medium-size carrots, peeled and cut in 1-inch chunks, or 12 baby carrots
- 1 box (16 oz) prunes with pits
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1) Heat oil in a 6-8 quart Dutch Oven. Add the onion and cook over medium-low heat 10 minutes or until softened.
- 2) Incrase heat to medium-high, add beef and brown on all sides.
- 3) Add water, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 1 hour.
- 4) Stir in sweet potatoes, carrots, prunes and brown sugar. Cover and continue simmering 1 hour or until meat is very tender and vegetables are very soft
NotesPrunes cooked with the pits are thought to have more flavor. Make sure you warn people about the pits!