- Cooking Time: 120 min
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 30 min
BackstoryPrunes cooked with the pits are thought to have more flavor. Make sure you warn people about the pits!
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 pound lean beef round, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups water
- 3 sweet potatoes (1 and 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut in chunks
- 6 medium-size carrots, peeled and cut in 1-inch chunks, or 12 baby carrots
- 1 box (16 oz) prunes with pits
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1) Heat oil in a 6-8 quart Dutch Oven. Add the onion and cook over medium-low heat 10 minutes or until softened.
- 2) Incrase heat to medium-high, add beef and brown on all sides.
- 3) Add water, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 1 hour.
- 4) Stir in sweet potatoes, carrots, prunes and brown sugar. Cover and continue simmering 1 hour or until meat is very tender and vegetables are very soft