Carrot squash soup
• 4 large carrots, chopped
• 3 large whole cloves garlic
• 1 acorn squash, peeled and cubed (about 4 cups/1 L)
• 1 onion, chopped
• 2 tsp (10 mL) curry powder
• 2 tsp (10 mL) dried thyme leaves or 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh
• 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground ginger or 2 tsp (10 mL) minced fresh
• 4 cups (1 L) no salt added vegetable or chicken broth
• 1/4 cup (50 mL) light sour cream or yogurt
• 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
1. In a large pot, combine carrots, garlic, squash and onion. Stir in curry powder, thyme and ginger. Pour in broth and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 40 minutes or until carrots and squash are very tender.
3. Ladle soup in batches into a blender, or use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth.
4. Ladle into bowls and dollop with a little sour cream and sprinkle with cilantro to serve.
Tip: Make this soup in the slow cooker to bring to a potluck. Put all the ingredients into a slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup and then serve it right out of the slow cooker, keeping it warm on the buffet.
Find more healthy recipes online at heartandstroke.ca/recipes.
The new <30 Days app from the Heart and Stroke Foundation offers simple daily challenges to help you live a healthier life.
Pairs Well With
This is a yummy heart healthy soup filled with delicious winter vegetables like orange and squash, known to reduce risk of heart disease, stroke and diabetes.