- Cooking Time: 0
- Servings: 16
- Preparation Time: 60
- 2 cups macadamia nuts
- 1 1/2 cups cashews
- 1/2 cup pitted dates
- 1/4 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 5 T coconut oil, melted (gently warmed)
- 1/4 c filtered water
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup raw agave nectar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- garnish: sliced strawberries and blackberries
- *In one bowl, cover macadamia nuts with water and soak for four hours. In another bowl, soak cashews for four hours.
- *Separately, drain both kinds of nuts.
- *In bowl of food processor, pulse drained macadamias with dates to achieve a coarse, sticky crumb.
- *Sprinkle shredded coconut into the bottom of an 8" x 8" glass baking dish, preferably one that has a lid. The coconut will help prevent sticking. Gently press the macadamia and date mixture into an even layer over the coconut.
- *Place drained cashews in the bowl of the food processor. Puree with coconut oil, water, lime juice, agave nectar, and vanilla. Puree until completely smooth.
- *Pour cashew filling evenly into macadamia nut crust. Cover, and place in freezer until set, one to two hours.
- *While frozen, cut into sixteen squares. Cutting while frozen will help preserve the shape of each piece. Cut each square diagonally in half, so you have thirty-two triangles. Thaw in fridge, about an hour. Serve with your favorite berries in season.
NotesThis recipe comes originally from Vegetarian Times. I was looking for great gluten-free recipes, because my sweetie was diagnosed with celiac disease last year. I was pretty skeptical of a vegan cheesecake, but tried this one. Oh my goodness, were we ever pleasantly surprised! This is fantastic!
I've made a few changes from the original to make it my own.