- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 c. roasted corn (about 6 ears) (can use canned Niblets corn)
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp. chopped pimentos
- ¾ c. chopped onion
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- ¾ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- Melt butter in 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and cook for three minutes or until onion starts to become tender.
- Add corn and pimentos and cook, stirring frequently, until you begin to see browned kernels and smell the sugar in the corn carmelizing. This usually takes about seven minutes. If the mixture seems a bit too dry, add another tablespoon or two of butter as needed.
- Add pepper, salt and sugar and cook for three more minutes, allowing the sugar to melt thoroughly and glaze the kernels lightly.
- Serve hot. This dish will keep up to a week covered tightly and refrigerated.
- YIELD: 6-8 servings, depending on your diners
- Variation: To make this a creamy dish, remove from heat when done and stir in ¾ c. of your favorite flavor ranch salad dressing. Done this way, it can be served as a cold salad.
- Basically, to sum up, cast iron is the ultimate in indestructible kitchenware. You can blast it, beat it, scrape it and expose it to haggis fumes and it'll shrug it right off. I have in my collection a corn stick pan that I found at a garage sale. It was so rust-encrusted that it was barely recognizable at first. Ten minutes with a wire brush, followed by a good seasoning and scrubbing, and I had a pan that often sells for upwards of $20 for which I'd paid $1.
- Keep an eye out at garage sales and flea markets. That rusty, dusty hunk of cast iron cookware sitting on the $2 table could become the pride of your collection!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Just Desserts - Top 20 from the Culinary Alchemy Blog
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.
HalFire: A Passion for HotWings!See More
Walnut, Honey & Espresso Caramels
Scrambled Egg Breakfast Pizza
Rice PuddingSee More