- Cooking Time: 20-25 minutes
- Servings: a lot
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
BackstoryIf you like Banana Bread...you're going to absolutely LOVE Banana Bars. Light, fluffy...and yes, very moist! Very much like the consistency of cake.
I saw this recipe posted on a very dear friends blog. Her name is Cathy and she is the awesome publisher of The Dutch Baker's Daughter.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt (I used Greek yogurt. Use what you prefer...even low fat as Cathy used)
- 1/2 sour cream (Cathy used light sour cream)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 medium very ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 3/4 to 4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350' F. Grease a 15" x 10" jelly roll pan or line with parchment paper.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, yogurt, sour cream and vanilla. Combine well.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Whisk together.
- Gradually beat the flour mixture into the wet ingredients until all mixed together. Stir in the mashed bananas.
- Spread into your prepared pan and bake for 20 - 25 minutes until a toothpick, inserted in the middle-ish area comes out clean and your cake is a pretty yellowish golden color
- While your cake is cooling (ya I know...they're suppose to bars but honestly...its super moist like a cake), make your cream cheese frosting by beating the cream cheese, vanilla and powdered sugar together until you have the right consistency that makes you happy.
- Once the cake is cooled, spread on the frosting.