CAULIFLOWER, CHEDDAR AND APPLEWOOD-SMOKED BACON BISQUE
Cauliflower, Cheddar and Applewood-Smoked Bacon Bisque
- Servings: 10
- 5 slices applewood-smoked bacon -- chopped
- 1 large yellow onion -- chopped
- 4 ribs celery -- chopped
- 4 cloves garlic -- minced
- 2 heads cauliflower -- cut up into small flowerets
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 ounces sharp cheddar cheese -- cut into 1" cubes
- 1 cup half-and-half, fat free
- salt and white pepper -- to taste
- truffle oil -- for garnish
Saute bacon in large, heavy saucepan over medium heat until browned. Add onion, celery, and garlic. Cover and sweat vegetables until soft, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Add cauliflower, chicken broth and cheese and stir to loosen up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer until cauliflower is tenderuntil , about 30 minutes. Let cool about 20 minutes.
Puree soup in batches in blender, returning to same saucepan. Add half and half and bring soup to a simmer over medium low heat. If soup is too thick, thin with more chicken broth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle with truffle oil for a garnish.