- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 ounces thin-sliced pepperoni, slices cut in half
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 red or green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups canned tomatoes with their juice (one 16-ounce can)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 pound cavatappi pasta
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- In a large frying pan, sauté the pepperoni over moderate heat until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Pour off the fat from the pan and wipe the pan clean.
- In the same pan, heat the oil over moderately low heat. Add the onion and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Stir in the tomatoes with their juice (you can replace 1/4 cup juice with a medium bodied red wine) breaking them up. Add the salt, cover, and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the cavatappi until just done, about 13 minutes. Drain and toss with the sauce, the pepperoni, and the parsley
- **Note: You can try this with other hot sausages such as Chorizo