- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 cups low fat milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. chai spice blend (or make your own blend)
- 3 Tbls. cornstarch
- 1/2 cup crushed ginger snaps (about 6-8 cookies)
- Reserve 1/2 cup of milk.
- Mix remaining milk, cream, sugar and salt in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook until mixture begins to steam.
- In a bowl, whisk cornstarch, chai spice, and remaining milk; there should be no lumps.
- Add cornstarch mixture to pot. Cook, stirring, until it starts to thicken and barely reaches a boil, about 5 minutes.
- Immediately reduce heat to very low and stir for 5 minutes or so until thick. Stir in vanilla extract.
- If mixture has lumps, strain it into a bowl.
- Chill until cool, a couple of hours (you can skip this step if you have a machine with a built-in freezer).
- When cool or if there are no lumps, pour into an ice cream machine and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions, adding ginger snaps at the end of the process.
NotesAdapted from Mark Bittman's recipe for Cornstarch Ice Cream
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Fun appetizers and snacks
Desperate Housewives: Juicy Dishes & Saucy Bites
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and AppetisersSee More
Frying Pan Cookies
Angel Food Cupcakes With Raspberry Swirl
Home-Style Asian BurgerSee More