- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryAdapted from Mark Bittman's recipe for Cornstarch Ice Cream
- 1 1/2 cups low fat milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. chai spice blend (or make your own blend)
- 3 Tbls. cornstarch
- 1/2 cup crushed ginger snaps (about 6-8 cookies)
- Reserve 1/2 cup of milk.
- Mix remaining milk, cream, sugar and salt in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook until mixture begins to steam.
- In a bowl, whisk cornstarch, chai spice, and remaining milk; there should be no lumps.
- Add cornstarch mixture to pot. Cook, stirring, until it starts to thicken and barely reaches a boil, about 5 minutes.
- Immediately reduce heat to very low and stir for 5 minutes or so until thick. Stir in vanilla extract.
- If mixture has lumps, strain it into a bowl.
- Chill until cool, a couple of hours (you can skip this step if you have a machine with a built-in freezer).
- When cool or if there are no lumps, pour into an ice cream machine and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions, adding ginger snaps at the end of the process.