- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 C plus 2/3 C warm water (105°F to 115°F)
- 2 tbsp dry yeast
- 1 tbsp plus 3/4 C sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 3/4 C vegetable oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 7 1/2 C (about) all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tbsp water
- Combine 1/2 cup warm water, yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar in large glass measuring cup and stir until yeast dissolves.
- Let yeast mixture stand at room temperature until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- In large bowl of heavy-duty mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat 5 eggs until blended.
- Add oil, salt and 3/4 cup sugar and beat until pale yellow and slightly thickened, about 4 minutes.
- Beat in 2/3 cup warm water.
- Add yeast mixture and beat until blended.
- Remove whisk and fit mixer with dough hook.
- Add enough flour 1 cup at a time to form smooth dough, beating well after each addition.
- Beat on medium speed until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes, adding flour by tablespoonfuls if sticky.
- Turn out onto floured surface and knead 2 minutes.
- Lightly oil large bowl.
- Add dough, turning to coat with oil.
- Cover with plastic wrap, then with clean kitchen towel.
- Let dough rise in warm draft-free area until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough.
- Cover with plastic and clean kitchen towel and let rise 30 minutes.
- Grease 2 large baking sheets.
- Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface.
- Divide dough into 2 equal portions.
- Divide each portion into 3 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into 9-inch-long rope.
- Braid 3 ropes together; pinch ends together to seal.
- Repeat with remaining dough pieces, forming 2 braids.
- Place each braid on baking sheet.
- Cover with towel .
- Let rise in warm area until almost doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Whisk yolk with 1 tablespoon water to blend.
- Brush dough with egg mixture.
- Bake 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- Bake until bread is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped on bottom, about 35 minutes.
- Transfer loaves to rack and cool completely.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
Have Your Cake and EAT IT TOO! Allergen-Free Desserts Everyone Can Enjoy
Classic Chocolate RecipesSee More
Super-Simple Snickers Pies
Cilantro Pork Tamales
PUmpkin Carrot Swirl BarsSee More