- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons oil (I used vegetable)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 4 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
- sesame or poppy seeds ( optional )
- Combine the water, eggs (except the 2 whites), honey and oil together in large bowl.
- Wisk till they are well mixed.
- Add two cups of flour, the yeast and salt.
- Wisk together till well mixed.
- Rest for 15 minutes, uncovered.
- Add the remaning flour, half a cup at a time till the dough becomes firm enough to knead.
- Turn it out onto a floured surface and knead it for 10 minutes or so adding flour by rounded tbl as needed.
- Rub it with a small amount of oil and place it in a greased bowl, covered, to rise till doubled, 1-1.5 hours.
- Once it's doubled turn it out onto a sheet pan lined with Reynolds parchment paper.
- Cut it into three equal portions and roll them into 3 15 inch or so pieces.
- Braid the bread, tucking the ends underneath when you are done.
- Wisk the whites till they are foamy.
- Brush some foam on the top of the braid.
- Cover it and let it rise till doubled, about 1-1.5 hours.
- Remove the cover, re-wisk the whites and brush another coat of foam onto the braid.
- Sprinkle with seeds and bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.
- After 20 minutes turn it around and cook it for another 10-15 minutes, at 375. It should be 190 on an instant read thermometer.
- If it starts to get too brown at any point cover it loosely with foil.
- Cool on a wire rack.
NotesI had wanted to make some challah for a long time and finally got around to getting a recipe. This was a really, really good loaf of bread. It was eggy and slightly sweet, just like a challah is supposed to be and made awesome french toast.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry!
YummyMix.com's Blended Drink Recipes
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!See More
Surprise Birthday Cake
Citrus Pork Roast
Paula's Pecan ChickenSee More