- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 C warm water (about 110 degrees F)
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 t sugar
- 1/3 C canola oil
- 1/4 C sugar
- 2 t salt
- 2 eggs
- 3 3/4 - 4 C flour (all-purpose)
- 1/2 C raisins of chopped dried fruit (optional)
- 1 egg yolk, beaten with 1 t water
- poppy or sesame seeds (optional)
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, sprinkle yeast and sugar on water. Stir. Let stand for up to 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine oil, sugar, salt, eggs, and 2 C flour. Stir in yeast mixture.
- Gradually stir in remaining flour. Dough will be sticky.
- Place dough on lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes, adding flour as needed. Dough will feel silky and smooth.
- Put dough in lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 -1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down dough and knead in raisins or fruit (if using).
- Divide dough in half. Set one half aside.
- *** Note, can also make smaller breads by dividing dough in fourths. Adjust baking time accordingly!
- For braided challah, divide piece of dough into 3 equal sections.
- Roll each section into equal strands, pinch 3 strands together at one end and braid.
- Shape second challah.
- Place shaped dough on a lightly greased baking sheet (or use a silpat or parchment paper to line baking sheet). Brush with beaten egg yolk mixture and sprinkle with seeds (if using).
- Preheat oven to 375.
- While oven preheats, dough will go through second rise (should be at least 45 minutes for second rise).
- Bake 45 minutes. After 25 minutes, lightly drape a piece of aluminum foil over tops of breads to keep from browning too dark.
NotesThis is a great challah recipe, both for a novice or experienced baker! I make this recipe 2x a month, and freeze one bread for the non-baking week. Leftovers make great toast, French toast, or use in a bread pudding. Delicious!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
50 Shades of Taste
Healthy Blender Recipes: Vegan Drinks, Shakes & Smoothies
Driscoll's Berry DessertsSee More
Corn Pocket Rolls
Krrispy's Beer Bacon BreadSee More