- Cooking Time: 17-20 minutes
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
BackstoryThis is a fantastic recipe from Joy Wilson's, Joy the Baker Cookbook.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons dried chamomile from tea bags *
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon honey (agave syrup works well too)
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 325' (I had issues with this temperature. 350' seems to work better for me)
- Line 12 muffin tins with cupcake liners
- * Note: For the chamomile...you will need 9 teabags. Each teabag holds 1 teaspoon of tea. 3 teaspoons = 1 tablespoon In a mixing bowl, (carefully) beat together the butter, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and chamomile. The mixture will be course and crumbly.
- Whisk together the milk, egg and vanilla extract. Add half of the milk mixture to the crumbly mixture and beat until incorporated. Add the remaining milk and continue beating for one minute.
- Evenly divide the batter between the 12 lined muffin tins. Bake for about 17 - 20 minutes or until a toothpick thats been inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting
- While those babies are cooling, make the frosting by whisking together the powdered sugar, honey, cream and salt until smooth.
- Once the cakes are cooled, generously spread that icing on. If desired and if you have any teabags left......sprinkle a little in the centers to garnish.