- Cooking Time: 10
- Servings: 4-6
- Preparation Time: 30
BackstoryWhen I have money and time, I like to go on retreat to Yoga Thialand, on the island of Koh Samui. One of the many benefits of this retreat center is its amazingly delicious and healthy food. Over the years, they have collected their most popular recipes and put them into a cookbook. This simple chapati recipe goes well with any kind of curry dish. 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- ½ tsp. each cumin seeds, mineral salt
- ¼ tsp. each ground cumin, coriander, and turmeric
- 1. Mix the flour, spices, and salt. Slowly add water while mixing the dough until the dough becomes moist. Kneed until smooth. It is good to let the dough rest around 20 minutes, but not necessary.
- 2. Take some dough about the size of a golf ball and roll out until very thin. Use extra flour on both sides of the dough to keep the chappati from sticking to the roller or the surface.
- 3. Cook the chappati on cast iron pan over medium-high heat, around 1 minute on each side. The chappati should brown in spots as bubbles form and make it rise slightly. You can press the chappati with a spatula, and flip it a few times to help it to cook evenly without burning. Optionally, you can put it on a gas flame on each side to make it puff up.