- Cooking Time: 35 to 40 minutes
- Servings: about 10
- Preparation Time: 50 minutes
- 1 (16 oz.) package elbow macaroni
- 5 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 6 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp spicy brown mustard
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 5 cups milk
- 3 cups shredded Muenster cheese, divided
- 3 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup Ritz cracker crumbs (for topping; optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat; add macaroni and cook until pasta is tender; drain and set aside.
- In the same saucepan, heat butter or margarine over medium-high heat until foaming; add flour, mustard and Worcestershire sauce; whisk well to combine; continue whisking until mixture becomes fragrant and deepens in color, about 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in milk; bring mixture to a boil, whisking constantly (make sure it comes to a full boil, so it'll thicken); reduce heat to medium and simmer, whisking occasionally, until thickened to consistency of heavy cream, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat; whisk in two cups of the cheeses until fully melted; add pasta and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is steaming and heated through, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Transfer to a 9 X 13-inch baking dish that is sprayed with nonstick cooking spray; sprinkle with 1 cup of shredded Cheddar and 1 cup of Muenster cheese; top with cracker crumbs.
- Bake uncovered 35 to 40 minutes, until a deep golden brown and bubbling.
NotesThis is a recipe that I came up with that used both Cheddar and Muenster cheeses (I used 2 1-pound blocks from the local deli, cubed them up and shredded them at home in the food processor, but you can use prepackaged cheese, if you like).
"Appreciation" The Complimentary "Clean Eats" Vol.3
Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid: 33 Bloggers Share GF Treats!
Christmas CookiesSee More
Broccoli Chicken Casserole
SLOW COOKER BBQ COUNTRY RIBS
TUNA PARFAIT ON JAPANESE SWEET POTATO TEMPURA AND TEMPURA GREEN ONIONS WITH SAKE SOY GLAZESee More