CHEDDAR & MUENSTER MAC & CHEESE
Cheddar & Muenster Mac & Cheese
- Cooking Time: 35 to 40 minutes
- Servings: about 10
- Preparation Time: 50 minutes
- 1 (16 oz.) package elbow macaroni
- 5 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 6 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp spicy brown mustard
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 5 cups milk
- 3 cups shredded Muenster cheese, divided
- 3 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup Ritz cracker crumbs (for topping; optional)
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat; add macaroni and cook until pasta is tender; drain and set aside.
In the same saucepan, heat butter or margarine over medium-high heat until foaming; add flour, mustard and Worcestershire sauce; whisk well to combine; continue whisking until mixture becomes fragrant and deepens in color, about 1 minute.
Gradually whisk in milk; bring mixture to a boil, whisking constantly (make sure it comes to a full boil, so it'll thicken); reduce heat to medium and simmer, whisking occasionally, until thickened to consistency of heavy cream, about 5 minutes.
Remove from heat; whisk in two cups of the cheeses until fully melted; add pasta and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is steaming and heated through, about 5 to 6 minutes.
Transfer to a 9 X 13-inch baking dish that is sprayed with nonstick cooking spray; sprinkle with 1 cup of shredded Cheddar and 1 cup of Muenster cheese; top with cracker crumbs.
Bake uncovered 35 to 40 minutes, until a deep golden brown and bubbling.