- Cooking Time: 30–45
- Servings: 5–6
- Preparation Time: 20
- 2 lbs (6 spears) fresh asparagus
- 1 cup (⅓ cup) vegetable oil
- 2 cups (⅔ cup) yellow onions, diced
- 1 (⅓ cup) cup flour
- 2 quarts (2⅔ cups) half & half cream
- 3 quarts (1 quart) chicken stock
- 2 lbs (3–4 med) red potatoes, diced
- 1 tsp (⅓ tsp) salt
- ½ tsp (1 dash) red peppers, ground
- 1 lb (1⅓ cup) shredded sharp cheese
- 1 cup (⅓ cup) sour cream
- 2 cups (⅔ cup) tomato concassée*
- 2 lb (⅔ lbs or 1⅔ cups) crab meat
- 2 tsp (⅔ tsp) parsley, chopped
- Garlic croutons for garnish
- Cut asparagus into 1-inch pieces then blanche.
- Cook onion in hot oil until tender.
- Sprinkle flour over onion and stir to coat.
- Add half & half, chicken stock, potatoes, salt and red pepper. Cook and stir until thickened, reduce heat and simmer.
- When vegetables are tender, add cheddar cheese and sour cream.
- Add asparagus, crab meat and tomato concassée.
- Heat until hot and garnish with chopped parsley.
- Garnish with garlic croutons.
Notes* CONCASSEE [kon-kah-SAY] - Tomato that has been peeled, seeded and chopped.
Note the ingredient amounts for the original recipe yield a "cooking for crowds" number, 16 servings. For a more "family cooking" size yield, use the ingredient amounts in the parentheses.
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"
Sailstad Family Cookbook
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette StarbuckSee More
Righteous Indignation Raspberry-Nut Bars
Michigan Berry Pie
Warm Lentil & Pasta SoupSee More