- Cooking Time: 30–45
- Servings: 5–6
- Preparation Time: 20
- 2 lbs (6 spears) fresh asparagus
- 1 cup (⅓ cup) vegetable oil
- 2 cups (⅔ cup) yellow onions, diced
- 1 (⅓ cup) cup flour
- 2 quarts (2⅔ cups) half & half cream
- 3 quarts (1 quart) chicken stock
- 2 lbs (3–4 med) red potatoes, diced
- 1 tsp (⅓ tsp) salt
- ½ tsp (1 dash) red peppers, ground
- 1 lb (1⅓ cup) shredded sharp cheese
- 1 cup (⅓ cup) sour cream
- 2 cups (⅔ cup) tomato concassée*
- 2 lb (⅔ lbs or 1⅔ cups) crab meat
- 2 tsp (⅔ tsp) parsley, chopped
- Garlic croutons for garnish
- Cut asparagus into 1-inch pieces then blanche.
- Cook onion in hot oil until tender.
- Sprinkle flour over onion and stir to coat.
- Add half & half, chicken stock, potatoes, salt and red pepper. Cook and stir until thickened, reduce heat and simmer.
- When vegetables are tender, add cheddar cheese and sour cream.
- Add asparagus, crab meat and tomato concassée.
- Heat until hot and garnish with chopped parsley.
- Garnish with garlic croutons.
Notes* CONCASSEE [kon-kah-SAY] - Tomato that has been peeled, seeded and chopped.
Note the ingredient amounts for the original recipe yield a "cooking for crowds" number, 16 servings. For a more "family cooking" size yield, use the ingredient amounts in the parentheses.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Classic Chocolate Recipes
Delicious Breakfasts for Gluten-Free Kids!
Oliver & Grandson's Cajun and Southern CreationsSee More
Cake Mix Banana Nut Bread
EZ Salami Rolls
Asparagus FrittataSee More