- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 6 to 7 cups flour, divided
- 2 cups coarsely shredded sharp cheddar
- Scald milk with sugar, butter and salt in a small saucepan; cool until warm.
- In a large mixing bowl, sprinkle yeast over warm water and lightly stir to dissolve. Let stand for 5 minutes until it begins to foam. Add milk mixture and 2 cups flour to bowl to form a soft dough. Gradually beat in enough of the remaining flour so that dough is not sticky, then mix in cheese. Turn onto a lightly floured board and knead for about 10 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. Place in a lightly oiled bowl and turn to coat; cover with a clean dish towel. Let stand in a warm place to rise for 1 hour. Punch down dough and knead several times; divide in half and shape into 2 balls.
- Place each into a lightly greased loaf pan. Cover and let rise again for 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk. Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake dough for 45 to 50 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Let cool on wire racks.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
KITCHEN CAUCUS Liberal Helpings
Classic Chocolate Recipes ElevatedSee More
Cake Mix Banana Nut Bread
EZ Salami Rolls
Asparagus FrittataSee More