- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 6 to 7 cups flour, divided
- 2 cups coarsely shredded sharp cheddar
- Scald milk with sugar, butter and salt in a small saucepan; cool until warm.
- In a large mixing bowl, sprinkle yeast over warm water and lightly stir to dissolve. Let stand for 5 minutes until it begins to foam. Add milk mixture and 2 cups flour to bowl to form a soft dough. Gradually beat in enough of the remaining flour so that dough is not sticky, then mix in cheese. Turn onto a lightly floured board and knead for about 10 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. Place in a lightly oiled bowl and turn to coat; cover with a clean dish towel. Let stand in a warm place to rise for 1 hour. Punch down dough and knead several times; divide in half and shape into 2 balls.
- Place each into a lightly greased loaf pan. Cover and let rise again for 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk. Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake dough for 45 to 50 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Let cool on wire racks.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
I Got Baked: Introducing Cookbook Cafe
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day Feast
culinary karmaSee More
pistachio cranberry icebox cookies
Teeny Tiny Italian Meat-loaves
Mom's Holiday Stove Top StuffingSee More