- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Kosher salt
- Coarse black pepper, freshly ground (about ¼ cup)
- 6 - 2 inch cubes of sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 hamburger buns
- 6 crisp lettuce leaves (optional)
- 6 slices ripe tomato (optional)
- Ketchup (optional)
- Mustard (optional)
- Mayonnaise (optional)
- Being careful not to over-work the meat, mix the sirloin and chuck, add the Worcestershire sauce, mustard and salt until just combined. Portion the meat into 6 equal pieces and shape each patty around one cube of cheese and set aside.
- Meanwhile, put pepper on a shallow plate and roll the rim of each burger in the pepper until it is coated in a "stripe" of pepper. (The burgers can be made up to this point one day earlier and kept refrigerated.)
- When ready to grill, place burgers on the cooking grate and grill until the meat is no longer pink, 8 to 10 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling time. Meanwhile grill the buns over Direct heat until lightly toasted, if desired.
- Serve immediately on the buttered rolls with a lettuce leaf and tomato if desired. Serve with traditional condiments on the side.