- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (105°-115° F)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 1/2-6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water.
- Let stand until foamy, 5-10 minutes.
- In a saucepan, heat milk, butter, and salt over low heat until butter has melted. Cool to lukewarm (95-105 F).
- Stir milk mixture into yeast mixture.
- Using a heavy-duty electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and set on low speed, beat in flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until a stiff dough forms.
- On a floured surface, knead dough until smooth and elastic, 10 minutes, adding more flour to prevent sticking.
- Gradually knead in cheese until evenly distributed.
- Place dough in a large greased bowl, turning to coat.
- Cover with a damp cloth; let rise in a warm place until doubled, 1 hour.
- Grease a baking sheet.
- Punch down dough.
- Divide dough in half.
- Shape each half into an oval loaf.
- Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Cover loosely with a damp cloth; let rise in a warm place until doubled, 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- To prepare glaze, mix together egg and water. Brush loaves with glaze.
- Bake loaves for 25 minutes, then sprinkle with cheese and bake until they are deep golden brown and bottoms sound hollow when tapped, 5 minutes more. If necessary, cover with aluminum foil to prevent over browning. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Jean’s Recipe File
Jesuit Tampa - Between Practice and Homework
A Gluten Free Christmas with Gluten Free MamaSee More
Broccoli Chicken Casserole
SLOW COOKER BBQ COUNTRY RIBS
TUNA PARFAIT ON JAPANESE SWEET POTATO TEMPURA AND TEMPURA GREEN ONIONS WITH SAKE SOY GLAZESee More