- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (105°-115° F)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 1/2-6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water.
- Let stand until foamy, 5-10 minutes.
- In a saucepan, heat milk, butter, and salt over low heat until butter has melted. Cool to lukewarm (95-105 F).
- Stir milk mixture into yeast mixture.
- Using a heavy-duty electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and set on low speed, beat in flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until a stiff dough forms.
- On a floured surface, knead dough until smooth and elastic, 10 minutes, adding more flour to prevent sticking.
- Gradually knead in cheese until evenly distributed.
- Place dough in a large greased bowl, turning to coat.
- Cover with a damp cloth; let rise in a warm place until doubled, 1 hour.
- Grease a baking sheet.
- Punch down dough.
- Divide dough in half.
- Shape each half into an oval loaf.
- Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Cover loosely with a damp cloth; let rise in a warm place until doubled, 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- To prepare glaze, mix together egg and water. Brush loaves with glaze.
- Bake loaves for 25 minutes, then sprinkle with cheese and bake until they are deep golden brown and bottoms sound hollow when tapped, 5 minutes more. If necessary, cover with aluminum foil to prevent over browning. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
Cupcake Wars Winning Blueberry Pancake Cupcake RecipeSee More
Raw “Vodka Sauce”
Memere's Chocolate Chip CookiesSee More