- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 40
- Preparation Time:
- 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) buttermilk or plain yogurt
- Milk (for glaze)
- Sift together in a large bowl, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar.
- Cut in butter and cheese.
- Stir in the black pepper.
- Refrigerate the dough for 1/2 hour.
- Gently stir in the buttermilk or yogurt.
- Gather mixture into a ball with your hands and place on a well floured surface, roll or pat the dough into a 12 x 8 inch rectangle about 1/4inch thick.
- Grease a baking sheet.
- Using a large spatula or a couple of spatulas, transfer the dough to the baking sheet.
- With a knife, cut dough into 1 1/2 inch squares. Separate the squares slightly on the baking sheet. Brush each square with a little milk.
- Bake in a preheated 400 oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until very lightly browned.
NotesYum! The amount of pepper can be reduced to make a less spicy scone.
Per 2 scone serving: 132 cal, 4g protein, 14g carbohydrates, 1g sugar, 1g fiber, 19mg cholesterol, 302 mg sodium.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Fun appetizers and snacks
Eco-Chefs Kids Culinary Cookbook
Classic Chocolate Recipes ElevatedSee More
Holiday "Butt" Stuffing
Pumpkin Pie With Perfect Pie Crust
Nacho Cheese DipSee More