1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (1 3/4 to 2 1/4 cups)
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 package Fleischmann's® Active Dry or Rapid Rise Yeast
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 8-ounce package softened cream cheese
1 tablespoon lemon peel
1 cup chopped dates or pitted dates, snipped
1. In small bowl, combine 1/2 cup flour, sugar, salt and undissolved yeast.
2. Heat milk, water and butter to 120º to 130ºF. Butter does not need to melt. Gradually add to dry ingredients; beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. Add egg and 1/2 cup flour; beat at high speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. With spoon, stir in enough remaining flour to make stiff batter. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and refrigerate 2 to 24 hours.
3. Prepare Cheese Filling: Beat 1 (8-ounce) package softened cream cheese until light. Beat in 2 eggs and lemon peel. Stir in chopped dates or pitted dates, snipped. Refrigerate until ready to use.
4. Remove dough from refrigerator. Reserve 1/4 dough for lattice top. Roll remaining dough on lightly floured surface to 10-inch circle; fit into 9-inch pie plate. Pour filling into shell. Roll reserved dough to 10-inch circle; cut into 1/2-inch strips. Arrange strips on pie in lattice pattern.
5. Bake at 350ºF for 35 minutes. Cover with foil; bake additional 10 minutes or until skewer inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack.