- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 C cheddar (grated)
- 1/3 C butter or shortening
- few drops Worcestershire sauce
- dash cayenne pepper
- 1 C Jenny Wren flour (1 C flour + 1-1/2 tsp baking powder + 1/2 tsp salt)
- Cream cheese and butter.
- Add sauce and pepper.
- Then add flour.
- If grated cheese is used it may be necessary to add small amount of water to make dough stick together.
- Consistency should be the same as for pie crust.
- Shape in ribbons using a cookie machine, or roll out like pie crust.
- Cut in long thin strips.
- Bake in hot oven (450 degrees) until delicately browned.
NotesAccording to the Food Company Cookbooks blog, “Jenny Wren Recipes (1926, 16 pages) is a cute little pamphlet with recipes for biscuits, shortcake, dumplings, pancakes and waffles, quick breads, doughnuts, pies and cakes, cookies and other desserts.”
Jenny Wren ready-made (self-rising) flour originated in Lawrence Kansas since the 1920s. The flour mill operated on the riverfront of the Kaw River in conjunction with the Bowersock Mill.
Photo from: http://foodcompanycookbooks.blogspot.com/2008/02/jenny-wren-flour.html