- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6 dozen
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryCraig Claiborne's Southern Cooking
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound sharp cheddar cheese or blue cheese
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- salt, to taste
- 1/2 cayenne pepper, more or less
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Put the butter and cheese in the container of a food processor.
- Add the flour, salt, cayenne, and worcestershire.
- Cover and blend thoroughly.
- If a food processor is not used, put the flour , salt and cayenne in a bowl. Add the butter, cheese, and Worcestershire, and using two knives or a pastry blender, blend thoroughly.
- Use a cookie press outfitted with a hounds tooth or star dispenser.
- Push the dough out onto an ungreased baking sheet to make individual straws.
- Or, if desired, roll the dough out to a 1/8-inch thickness and cut it into individual strips, which can be twisted if desired, or other shapes.
- Arrange the pieces on 1 or 2 ungreased baking sheets.
- Place the baking sheet or sheets in the oven and bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until the straws are crisp and lightly browned.
- If you wish a darker color let them cook longer. Remove and let cool.
- Makes about 6 dozen