- Cooking Time: about 12
- Preparation Time: 15
- 1 loaf (1 lb) Italian bread
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 1 - 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium size cloves of garlic, crushed in a garlic press
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup (4 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional), for garnish
- Place a rack in the center of the over and preheat the oven to 400' F. Place a piece of aluminum foil about 2" longer than the loaf of bread on a baking sheet.
- Partially cut the bread into slices 1 - 2" thick; do not slice all the way through the loaf. Carefully transfer the cut loaf to the baking sheet.
- Place the butter, olive oil, garlic, and oregano in a small bowl and stir to mix. Spread some of the butter mixture evenly on both sides of each of the slices of bread. Scatter the mozzarella cheese over the top of the loaf and sprinkle red pepper flakes over it, if desired.
- Pull the aluminum foil up around the loaf, folding it together at each end to secure them but leaving the top of the loaf exposed. Bake the bread until the cheese melts and the loaf has browned, 10 - 12 minutes. If desired, garnish with parsley. Serve at once.
NotesThe best garlic bread I've ever made. A dear friend of mine gave me a recipe book for my birthday called "What Can I Bring? Cookbook". This is the first recipe I've tried from the book (I've only had the book for 3 days!) and what a success!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie Treats
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
Favourites from Ana's Romanian KitchenSee More
Steak with red onion relish
Merry Christmas CookiesSee More