Cheesy Au gratin potatoes
Why I Love This Recipe
I got this recipe from a friend and love it... it is the best recipe for cheesy potatoes I have ever tried...I get a lot of request for this one...
Ingredients You'll Need
6 medium boiling or baking potatoes
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
1 tablespoon Gold Medal all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups milk
2 cups shredded natural sharp Cheddar cheese (8 oz)
1. Heat oven to 375ºF.
2. Scrub potatoes but do not peel. Cut into 1/8-inch slices to measure about 4 cups.
3. Melt butter in 2-quart saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion in butter about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until bubbly; remove from heat.
4. Stir in milk and 1 1/2 cups of the cheese. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute.
5. Spread potatoes in ungreased 1 1/2-quart casserole. Pour cheese sauce over potatoes.
6. Bake uncovered 1 hour. Mix remaining cheese. Bake uncovered 15 to 20 minutes longer or until top is brown and bubbly.