CHEESY BROCCOLI SOUP W/ A KICK
- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- cooking spray
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (1 tsp)
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 package frozen broccoli florets
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 package (14 oz) Velveeta cheese
- shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- chopped green onions (optional)
- Coat a large, heavy-duty saucepan with cooking spray. Saute onion and garlic over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes. Add chicken broth and broccoli. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. Cook over medium heat, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Whisk together milk and flour. Slowly pour into pan, stirring constantly, and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in paprika and pepper. Cut Velveeta into small cubes. Remove from heat and add Velveeta, stirring until completely melted. Let soup stand 10-15 minutes over serving. If Velveeta does not melt easily, place pan over low heat.
- For serving, top individual bowls with shredded cheese and green onions as desired.
NotesThe original recipe for this soup came from Cooking Light magazine. Over the past few months, I’ve adjusted the recipe slightly and with each attempt it has gotten better. Here is the most recent incarnation, I hope you enjoy it.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Brownies: Baking Outside the Box
Easy Homemade Salad Dressings
$30 Wine+Food PairingsSee More
Hot and Sour Soup
My Husband’s Favorite Desert
Mickey's Pulled PorkSee More