CHEESY CHICKEN & BROCCOLI BAKE
- Cooking Time: 25
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 20
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken (or a vegetarian substitute such as Morningstar Chick'n Patties, cubed)
- 1/2 cup lowfat milk
- dash ground pepper
- 2 large heads of broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
- for cheddar cheese sauce:
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup lowfat milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1. Place cut broccoli in a large skillet with a few Tablespoons of water. Cover with lid and steam on medium high heat until broccoli is tender and bright green in color.
2. While the broccoli is steaming, work on the cheddar cheese sauce. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan on low heat. Gradually add flour, and whisk constantly until mixture is smooth. Remove from heat. Slowly add milk, whisking to maintain smoothness. Cook this mixture over low heat until thickened, whisking as it cooks (about 5-7 minutes). Add the cheese and stir until smooth and well blended.
3. Stir the cooked chicken (or vegetarian substitute), cheese sauce, milk, pepper, and broccoli into a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
4. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes, until hot.