CHEESY CHICKEN PIZZAIOLA SANDWICHES
Cheesy Chicken Pizzaiola Sandwiches
- 1 1/4lb boneless skinless chicken breast -- cooked & shredded
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion -- finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves -- minced
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 hoagie rolls -- split & toasted
- provolone cheese or shredded mozzarella & shredded parm, romano and asiago blend
- 16 spinach leaves -- fresh
In a large saucepan, sauté the onion and garlic in oil until soft but not browned. Add tomato sauce, wine, oregano and basil. Season with salt and red pepper flakes, adding more to taste, if you wish. Lower heat and simmer mixture for 30 minutes.
Add garlic powder and shredded, cooked chicken to the tomato sauce; simmer together for 15 to 60 minutes, as desired (cover mixture if it begins to become too thick).
Assemble sandwiches: spoon the chicken mixture on 4 toasted hoagie roll bottoms and place 2 provolone cheese slices on the top portion of each sandwich. Place open-faced sandwiches on a cookie sheet in a 350 degree oven until cheese melts (or broil if you like browned cheese). Place 4 spinach leaves on each sandwich, put together, and serve hot.
It calls for cooked chicken and I used boneless, skinless chicken tenders and boiled them in 2 cans of chicken broth and then shredded it. I also used 1/2 cup of chicken broth instead of the wine. My addition to the recipe was 1/2 packet of Italian seasoning mix! I left cheese off of one of them for the picture! The ones with cheese were toasted in my toaster oven.